IAPSRS against Addiction and Drugs: The Ayyaran Night project
First “Ayyaran Night” demonstration against spreading addiction and drugs held in Darvazeghar - Tehran 2009.
Children of the vicinity, usually from addicted families, are demonstrating with IAPSRS students.
The little boy invites addicted people in his vicinity to give up addiction.
The “Ayyaran Night project”, with the aim of making an addiction free Iran, is a program made IAPSRS. This organization is seeking to invite everyone in the society to help wash the dark spot of addiction and drug abuse off Iran’s face. The organization plans to fulfill its objectives by publicizing the issue and hence developing the level of social awareness concerning the severe predicaments of drug abuse and addiction. The plan relies on the noble believes and cultural foundations of Iranian people, especially the long lasting tradition of gallantry and philanthropy. By doing so, it will be possible to resolve this satanic devastating social issue. This program, by calling for all free and freethinkers in Iran and by relying on their towering national and religious thoughts especially those of philanthropy and humanitarianism, besides, the all true idea of “Imam Husain’s believes”, tries to invite all people to take a strong step to make Iran a country without addiction and drug abuse by developing invaluable thoughts in the society. There is no doubt that this will not be possible without unifying all Iranians and their will to help each other.
Goals of the Ayyaran Night program
This program, by achieving the following short and long term goals, aims to move toward its ideal goal that is making a clean addiction free Iran.
Making people aware of the critical conditions concerning addiction issues in the society, the insufficiency of the available facilities, and the necessity of an urgent effective measure concerning the issue are the most important goals of the program.
- Demonstrating university-student protests and hatred of the existence of epidemic addiction along with the ceaseless accruing trend of drug abuse in the absence of in depth measures taken against this serious social problem.
- Publicizing addiction as a social issue through university congresses and seminars.
- Inviting people from every single cross section of the society to help make Iran a country without addiction.
- Transforming the view of the society on an addict and changing it from considering an addict as a harmful factor to fight with, into a physical - mental patient who needs our help and can still rejoin the society as a healthy individual.
- Providing help and support for the victims of addiction and their families and children.
IAPSRS students and children of Darvazeghar vicinity express their abhorrence of spread out addiction in Iran.
Plans and administration of the project
The national program of “Ayyaran Night” plans to study addiction in society by holding several numbers of student/public congresses and seminars. The program also tries to take strong steps toward fulfilling its vocation for establishing a healthier society without addiction. This will be done by the help and support of people of every single cross sections of society especially student societies. Using the help and support donated by all these people it will be possible to publicize the scandal of increasing trend of the youth being affected by addiction, and about the harms and consequences drug abuse may bring about.
The most significant plans currently being implemented in this program are as follows:
- Holding university congresses to elevate the awareness among students concerning dangers and threats of addiction.
- Identifying and being present in problematic districts, providing help and support for the victims of addiction and their families.
- Trying to change the laws regarding selling and buying drugs in Iran. Laws which are too weak and too restrictive at present and they actually have become a facilitating factor paving the way for drug trafficking in Iran.
- Efforts made to cope with the terrifying consequences of drug trafficking and buying, such as children and women trafficking in Iran, and defending the rights of working children in drug abuse sections, children who are involved in packing, selling and even consuming drugs.
- Collaborating with organizations active in the fight against addiction and its consequences.
IAPSRS students are praying for stop addiction in Iran and inviting addicted people to give up their addiction.
The scope of the program
“Ayyaran Night” program officially commenced its operations in October-November 2009, focusing its efforts on the most problematic and addiction corrupted districts in south of Tehran called “Darvazehghar”. The program announced its invaluably effective commencement in late December and early January, by 300 students participating in this very district and crying the declaration of resentment against epidemic addiction in the country. This protest against addiction in Iran was held in December 2010 in the same vicinity with about 500 university students; however, in 2011 the government did not provide the IAPSRS, necessary certificates for having a protest in the neighborhood and the society had to restrict its program at the House of Knowledge in Darvazeghar with about 50 members.
Congresses and Seminars
Organizing university congresses and seminars along with convoking experts and professors during the year, the program analyzes theoretical and practical strategies regarding the fight against addiction issue in the Iranian society. In (2009-2010) the program held 5 congresses in 4 universities (Tehran Medical Academy, Sharif Industrial University, Allameh Tabatabaie University, Azad University south Tehran Branch and Shariaty Hospital in Tehran). In these congresses the severe condition of addiction in the society was analyzed and discussed while participants were convoked to take part in “Ayaran Night” program to help us make Iran a country without addiction.
In the International Day of Fight against drug abuse and addiction, the program organized a congress on addiction effects among women, children and students. Along with this congress there was a photographing contest with the subject of addiction in Iran society.
Having an active presence in problematic districts
The urgent necessity of having close contacts with the victims of addiction and drug abuse in order for providing help and support beside enhancing the awareness of problems and consequences of addiction in society and analyzing the validity of available statistics and news, a need was felt to organize a detection team starting to operate in the program as a close watch over the issues while announcing its reports to the members of the program as well as publicly in congresses.
So a team consisting of 50 male and female students began operating 3 month after the program started to work round the clock in different hours of the day morning to the afternoon, evening to night and night to morning; by visiting problematic addiction corrupted districts specifically covering “Darvazehghar & Shoush” neighborhoods. These people, as the detection team of the program, beside detecting and providing help and support for the residents, collected documents on the critical condition of addiction in Iran and made special reports and statistics concerning the issue. This information later served as the foundation of “Ayyaran Night” congresses and in some cases statistics, documents and films made on the issue impressed the audiences paving the way to get those new members eager to collaborate in the program for fulfilling the ultimate goal of Iran without addiction.
Among most significant achievements fulfilled by the detection team of the program while performing direct physical presence in problematic districts, the following inside information are worth mentioning:
- The easy access and cheap prices of drugs 24 hours of the day.
- Absence of necessary adequate penalties for the traffickers of this lethal devastating material.
- The scandal of the young generation tendency towards addiction.
- The scandal of addiction among children and women, even 6-month-old children.
- Irrecoverable damages of addiction on families.
- The widespread extension of addiction to new dangerous chemical drugs, namely crack and glass.
- Severe social threatening diseases caused by addiction such as HIV AIDS, hepatitis.
- Increasing the number of injection addicts in the society.
Providing help and support for families damaged by addiction
In this section of the program, members interested in participating in detection activities and connections in the program, are convoked to enroll for the training courses. These courses held in late March-early April 2010, during which medical, psychological trainings and trainings concerning ways to contact problematic families beside getting to know different types of drugs and their dangers and consequences were provided. People participating in these courses are bound to, for at least 2 years; serve as social workers in detection teams and connections of families in “Ayaran Night” program, performing volunteer activities.
Provisions for homeless addicts
Through physical presence of volunteers in ruins and detecting homeless addicts, and sometimes also by providing food and blankets for them, these groups of addicts are asked to quit consuming, while members of the program, guarantee that by the time these addicts give up drugs, volunteers in the program introduce them to entrepreneurial centers and do whatever they can to support them.
Negin, the labor child, is praying for her parents to give up addiction at “Ayyaran Night” demonstration with IAPSRS students.